Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Stories of Black Tea

I got a call at 10 pm.

"Get out of your house RIGHT NOW. We're going to get us some black tea."

And we sat there, the three of us with Clapton's voice washing over us, drinking small cups of the best black tea I've ever tasted.

Peaceful!





A long time pending. A long time talking. Long since I had been to Barista. The masala tea I drank black that evening made me feel so much closer to you, more comfortable because I was in my zone. Tired and a little confused, but happy. And I know I've got lots more I want to share with you.

A lot more chais are going to happen, surely :) Coffee for you, of course!





I needed a break. And as he asked for tea, my friend said, "Kaali chai please." It sounded funny and absolutely natural at once. I'm not sure why I've never said "Kaali chai" before.





Strong. Need. To. Destress.

Chocolate tea, in its black form and its tantalizing smell. In my big blue tea mug. Plus bean bag. Plus balcony. Plus fresh air from my happy plants.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah! :)





Sniff.

Sniff. Sniff.

Snnnnnnnnnnifff!

[mild honking sound]

Black ginger tea is magical!





I'd walk in as I pleased. You, my friend, made the most amazing black tea ever. One after the other we'd drink. In your room on the floor, laughing, not a care in the world. Yamahatma days :)





The many, many exciting flavours of tea. Tea-tasting sprees! Strawberry, Peach, Blueberry, Camel, Blackcurrant, Chocolate, Apple...

Thank you :)





Back home. The feeling of "back home", being rooted to someplace. Someplace close to the heart, some place I think of as my haven, the place that you get to with three clicks of the heel. With the tornado of the life around, this was my little cubby-hole. My dog at my feet, the pleasant evening sun in my face, a light breeze, and the sound of my mother cooking, my father singing in the bathroom, and my sister scribbling little cartoons on sketch pads. And classic rock in the background.
Light, black tea that my mother handed me in a big yellow cup. Whiff of elaichi and tinge of ginger taste.

Home :)

1 comment:

Darshini Santhanam said...

Tea tastes best with honey, mint, lemon and, most importantly, good company. Big hugs!

 
Support Wikipedia