Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Fade Away

He's talking to me from across the table. I can hear his voice, see his hands move describingly as he speaks, and I nod to make sure he knows I'm listening.
And slowly, his voice gets softer and softer and softer. I can still see his hands moving, his mouth opening and changing shapes as he intonates, his eyes pointing in my direction. I hear a buzzing sound coming from the back of my head. My vision blurs, and he turns into fragments of floating colour. And as I strain my eyes to focus on him again, I see instead, the face of that boy I loved. I hear his voice. The buzzing is louder, enough to block the other guy, but through it I can still hear him.

Fade away honey. I'm trying to listen to somebody else.

I'm dancing because I love to. My favourite song is playing. I can feel his breath on the back of my neck...
But I'm dancing alone.

Fade away honey. We've had our last dance.

I lie on my side, alone, trying hard to sleep. I cannot, I cannot. I feel the weight of his hand around my waist, fingers loosely entwined in mine. I can feel his lips grazing the back of my neck.

Fade away honey. I need to be able to sleep.

The breeze caresses my face, as we sit, drenched, soon after the rain. I can feel his hand on my lap, wet and heavy. The tea we're sipping slips, warm, down our throats. We remember the ice, and smile. I'm sitting by myself.

Fade away honey. I need to enjoy the rain and tea alone.

I walk on the dark street, my hands deep in my jacket pocket, listening to the sound of my shoes on the ground, watching the road disappear from beneath. It drizzles. I look up and smile at the wind. And the drops fall lightly, clearing up my mind with the smell of the rain. I walk, away from how I was, away from how you were. I walk towards a new beginning. I walk towards bliss.

Fade away honey. 'Cause I need you no more.

4 comments:

Niamh said...

Fading Away... an interesting concept. Close your eyes and breathe deep luv. Now just watch him fade away.
Keep the good times and let the rest fade away with him. Its your time now.

Swathi said...

you go girl! :)

Princess Selene said...

I can try and try to entwin the thoughts you bring when i read this, these words, these tears and these smiles..but its so hard to wrap words into a reaction, when that's (your blog) what i am supposed to react to!

all i can say is i love the flow, i love the thoughts, i love it all...sometimes wish i was that nail on your finger or one blood cell in your body, closer to you..closer to your thoughts! but where we are it good too! ;)

With regard to this post...happy for you..! happy for the strength you have and weakness too..

Princess Selene said...

keep writing!
its great! and please let me know when your book is out on the stands!

 
Support Wikipedia